I woke up this morning craving something healthy and nourishing, yet chocolatey and decadent. To spice up my day, I decided to add turmeric and cacao to my oatmeal.
Lately, I have been adding turmeric to almost everything- there are just so many health benefits! This spice aids in detoxifying the body and decreasing inflammation. It may seem odd since I add this spice to my veggies and chicken, but it has a warm flavor and I added chocolate, bananas, and blueberries to sweeten up my oatmeal.
In addition to turmeric’s benefits, cacao has 40 Times the antioxidants of blueberries (that’s a ton!!), it is considered the highest plant-based source of Iron, cacao is full of Magnesium- which is important for a healthy Heart & Brain, it contains more Calcium than Cow’s Milk, and cacao acts as a natural mood elevator and Anti-Depressant.
This created a delicious flavor combination. Give this combo a try!!
A detoxifying bowl of oatmeal spiced with turmeric and cacao.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (add more if it is dry!)
- 1/2 ripe banana (mashed) + add the other half of the banana sliced on top
- 1/2 cup egg whites (optional: for extra protein)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp almond or peanut butter (optional – adds creaminess)
To make on a Stove top:
- Wash the blueberries.
- Add the almond milk or water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the oats and stir well. Lower heat to a low simmer and continue to stir.
- Stir in egg whites.
- Add the mashed banana, cacao, and turmeric to the oatmeal – stir well to combine.
- Once the oats have absorbed most of the water or almond milk, remove from the stovetop.
- Pour the oatmeal into a bowl and top with the banana, berries, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and optional nut butter.
To make with a Microwave:
- Wash the blueberries.
- Combine oats and almond milk (or water) in a bowl. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Add the 1/2 mashed banana, cacao, and turmeric to the oatmeal – stir well to combine.
- Stir in egg whites and heat for 1.5 more minutes, stir, and reheat for another 1.5 minutes.
- Top oats with the banana, berries, chia seeds, cacao nibs, optional nut butter, and whatever else your heart desires (I included the last chocolate covered strawberry I had left over from Valentine’s day. Delish!)